From fantastic zoos and parks to desert museums and hot air balloon rides, New Mexico is an incredible source of outdoor entertainment for fun and unique family activities. It doesnt matter if you are a local or a tourist, these activities will give you something to do and are a great way to create some incredible family memories.
With that in mind, here are the top 5 must-do outdoor New Mexico activities:
1. Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park This incredible outdoor establishment in Carlsbad has more than 40 species and 300 plants and cacti native to the Chihuahuan Desert. Opened to children of all ages, visitors can explore the fascinating variety of New Mexicos wildlife. Plus, of you happen to visit in May, youll be able to see a beautiful array of colorful wildflowers.
2. Spring River Park and Zoo Although its not the largest zoo in New Mexico, this park and zoo located in Roswell is free, which is always a win! Families are invited to enjoy the parks natural and relaxing setting. They can stroll through different parts of the zoo, including Prairie Dog Town and Longhorn Ranch. Theres also picnic areas, a miniature train, carousel, playground and the opportunity to fish at the lake for younger children.
3. Ojo Caliente Mineral Hot Springs & Spa Filled with sulphur-free, geothermal mineral waters derived from a subterranean volcanic aquifer, the hot springs in Ojo Caliente are the only ones in the world that offer four different types of minerals in their waters to create both a relaxing and healing (without the harsh smell) experience. The springs are open daily and all children are welcome, including non-potty trained children for whom there are required swim diapers available.
4. Santa Fe Childrens Museum More than just an indoor museum that is filled with lots of activities, Santa Fe Childrens Museum also features an outdoor gardens and play area that has been built in the southwestern style of the Santa Fe region. The museums outdoor area is fill with a variety of flowers and plant species native to the area as well as a huge sandbox. Plus, theres a snake and bug section for children who are fascinated by these creatures, as well as a unique Airstream trailer that doubles as a food truck with a variety of food options.
5. Balloon Flights at Pueblo Balloon Company Ever wished you could go on a hot air balloon ride? Taos is where you can do it. Take the family on a grand 60 90 minute adventure up in the skies where you can see spectacular aerial views of the Rio Grande Gorge and the Taos Valley!